Golden Visa – Portugal
The Golden Visa Residence Programme, or ARI, launched by the Portuguese Authorities in 2007 and significantly reviewed since, facilitates the obtaining of a valid residency permit in Portugal with the advantages of free access to all Schengen signatory countries.
There are various models of investment activity that enable the application for the visa, namely:
- International transfer of capital of at least €1.000.000,00, into a Portuguese bank account. At time of renewal, the applicant must demonstrate that the average quarterly balance of the bank deposit has been of at least €1.000.000,00.
- Creation of at least 10 jobs.
- Purchase of property with a value equal or greater than €500.000,00. The application can be made once a promissory contract for the purchase and sale of the property has been signed as long as the deposit paid equals a minimum of €500.000,00 otherwise application will be made upon completion of the purchase and payment of the full price. The funds used to purchase the property must come from an international transfer to a bank account in Portugal.
- Purchase of real estate built over 30 years ago or located in an urban rehabilitation area, with execution of rehabilitation works in which case the value of the investment is reduced to €350.000,00.
- International transfer of at least €350.000,00 to be applied in research carried out by public or private scientific research institutions registered in the Portuguese scientific and technological system.
- International transfer of at least €250.000,00 to be applied as investment or support for artistic production, or recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage.
- International transfer of at least €350.000,00 for the purpose of acquiring investment units or venture capital funds aimed at providing capital to companies formed under Portuguese law and with a maturity date of at least five years as of the investment date and, of which at least, 60% must be invested in companies with registered office in Portugal.
- International transfer of at least €350.000,00 to incorporate or increase the share capital of a company with registered office in Portugal, together with a creation of five permanent jobs, for a minimum period of three years.
Kindly note that an investment must be maintained for a minimum period of five years, though investors can change the type of investment in the renewal applications. This five-year period runs from the date the Golden Visa is granted and not from date of application.
The Golden Visa is a temporary residence permit valid for one year from the date it is issued. It can be renewed for successive periods of two years as long as the requirements are maintained which means that at each renewal evidence has to be submitted not only of the investment but also all due diligence on the applicant will have to be repeated furthermore, applicants must demonstrate that they have stayed in Portugal for at least 7 days, consecutive or not, in the first year and 14 days, consecutive or not, in each of the subsequent 2-year periods.
The legislation also determines the right to family reunification which means that a spouse, minor children, and adult children or relatives in the ascending line, in the case of these two, evidence needs to be provided that they are in the care of the applicant.
We have vast and successful experience with Golden Visa applications for a wide range of nationalities, that have allowed us to develop strong professional relations with Embassies and many public departments from various countries allowing g us to better guide you through the application and renewal process assisting in the legal parameters of the respective investments chosen, as well as the fulfilling of the requirements for the application working to ensure a quick and successful visa approval.
Latest updates on Golden Visa